Monday, May 2, 2011

Rain and Other Musings

I feel like I've talked about the weather a lot on this blog which is funny cause I'm not really a weather watcher - especially compared to Sam's family, who can be relied upon to know what weather is coming and when and how long it'll last, not only in their own province but also in ours and wherever else family happens to be living. (they are a farming family though - so it's par for the course)

But lately I feel like my moods are mirrored by the weather or perhaps more accurately -- my moods are completely swayed by the weather. And today it's rain...again. (Although to be fair it was a very beautiful day yesterday and I was able to soak up not only sun but some heat too.) After a rainy January, February, March and April it seems like May is destined to be the same. And it's depressing. And I feel no motivation for anything at all. A feeling that is not helped by this pesky little thing we're dealing with called cancer.

It's a weird place to be in - this space where I technically don't have cancer. It's cut out, scans show no signs of it and yet this journey is only just beginning. Treatment is around the next bend which has been hard to wrap my head around this week, especially after the great news of the cancer-free nodes. I don't have a definite treatment plan yet but my surgeon said that by a year from now I should be starting to feel like my old self. And between now and then is the great unknown. In the next 2-3 weeks I'll get an appointment at the cancer centre with an Oncologist and that will give me a better idea about what's next.

Also unhelpful to my motivation levels is my fairly useless left arm. After my first surgery I was very quickly back to normal with good movement, I could do pretty much anything. This time though my arm hurts all the way to my wrist and especially at my elbow so bending and straightening (mostly straightening) is quite sore and I can't reach anything at all above my head. It's given me an appreciation of those who have to live all of life with pain and disability. I'm whining after 2 weeks even with the knowledge that physio will most likely totally fix the problem within a few months. And there are those who live with pain like this always.

So what do I focus on to pull myself out of these doldrums? Well today I was aided by Starbucks and Chapters. My most favourite combination. Friday was a trip to my neighbourhood pedicure place and of course Sam and the kids help a lot. I feel blessed to have a family who totally wants to bless me. Zach has even changed his hug giving routine for me. Instead of tackling me around the waist with his usual bone crusher hugs he's opted for more gentler versions that are no less passionate! (funny enough a few loads of laundry actually helped my mood today too. Yes - I'm a cleaner and not being able to clean has been a bit of a downer this week!)

So that is my weather inspired post for the day. Not profound maybe - but honest. At least until the sun comes out!

5 comments:

  1. It is pouring here again today so I hear you! Praying with you today for your arm to be mobile and the pain to be better. I wish I could give you my gentle hug today too! Love you so much and believing with you for wholeness and healing every day:)

    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Heidi! Honestly, the weather has been getting me down too (I'm used to all the sun we get in KS). But I love the things you are finding joy in! I'm working on that too! Maybe I'll stop by The House of James on the way home tonight - book stores are wonderful mood boosters!! Praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And after having lived in BC for almost 21 years...I still complain about the rain. Then, I realize that God sometimes allows us to "feel" the weather of seasons for a reason. I've always seen rain as just that....plain ol' rain...wet, cold, dark clouds....kind of depressing. Here's how I think God sees it....Showers of mercy and grace, hope, new life. Ok, so that's why BC is so green! I think that we need the rain to be reminded that God showers us with His constant love, mercy and grace every single day. He washes us off, giving us the opportunity to give Him our all - the struggles, the fears, the joys. We may prefer the sun, but rain has its place. And then, when we combine the two...we get rainbows! I'm believing for the rainbows in your journey.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. [chuckle]
    Knowing how you have been feeling about needing/wanting/really-wanting the sunshine I think of you at every glimpse of blue sky. Each time the sun has peaked out over the past several weeks I have vocalized, "It's sunny for Heidi!" :-)
    Such a strange season for you to be in, thanks for the honest post and remember to pre-load the ibu before physio! ;-)
    [gentle hugs]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was good reading your post up until you started talking about Zack and his gentle hugs....annnnd roll tears! That just got me..I can picture sweet little Zack wrapping his arms around you. What a blessing it is to have great kids like you have. It must be nice to know that you have two kidos with unconditional, unfailing love and support.

    Love you, thinking about ya and praying for sunny skies.
    -H

    ReplyDelete