Sunday, December 18, 2011

Not Your Usual Kinda Juice

As part of our quest for health Sam and I have started juicing. Mostly green juice, cucumbers, celery, kale or romaine or chard, sometimes carrot, usually an apple or pear to sweeten it up and a bit of lemon and ginger. It's actually quite good and I've gotten to the point where I crave it when I don't have it. Kinda like coffee but way better for you. 

Not my juice - found the pic online - but it looks like ours!
Sometimes we've tried other kinds of juice. This beauty is beet, carrot and orange juice. It was actually quite good although a bit bitter. And I love the colour. It matches our juicer! 



So why juice? Well, it's a good way to get the vitamins and nutrients you need. The good thing about juice is that it doesn't need to be digested - all the goodness is absorbed right into your body with minimal amount of work. Of course you still need to EAT veggies - the fibre is good for you too. 

Usually we juice in the mornings and then eat a big salad for lunch and something else vegetably for dinner. At least that's the optimum plan. The day I wrote this we had some really cheesy yummy pasta that I just had to try and make (pasta is my weakness. and thai food, and nachos...;-). But the bottom line is - I really don't want to get cancer again and I'm researching all the things people say will help in that. Eating your veggies is a big one - so I'm eating AND drinking them!

3 comments:

  1. Had my green juice this morning too! Thanks for getting me into the healthy trend of juicing. We will try some new recipies when you come!

    Cheers!!
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you coordinate your juice to your outfit! [wink]

    ...and, yes, you totally have spread the juice-ing love our way because the blueberry/spinach combo has become an almost daily part of our salad intake! I much prefer to drink my calories than chew, so blending them up gives me the fibre and the quick 5-10 without the hassle of tossing and washing and dishes to clean up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heidi! Do you have some favorite recipes to share? ...I'm very curious!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete