Wednesday, December 14, 2011

More on Living

I was pleasantly surprised to see this above me the first time I laid down on the radiation table.
It's what I get to look at every time I get zapped!
It's crazy how time just keeps moving forward. I've been in the cancer world for 10 months now. 10 MONTHS. It feels like an eternity and like no time at all. When we first started I had no idea what it would feel like to be immersed in something so life changing for such a long period of time.

One thing I've come to realize may seem pretty basic but it's really hit me this week. I'm still me. I still love what I loved before, I still get grouchy when I'm tired and hungry, I still need down time every day and my body is still my body. It may have gone through a bunch of changes that are annoying. I see them, accept them, but at the end of the day I still feel the same inside. Through everything, that is what I need to hold on to. 

At my radiation appointments I've had the opportunity to chat with a number of different people while we wait. Everyone is dealing with cancer. It's a given. And yet the responses are all so different. I met a couple who see this as a minor blip in their retirement (she has breast cancer). They went on a huge 4 week trip between surgery and chemo, and went to Mexico for a week during chemotherapy. Ironically they have the same doctor as I do - the one who told me I shouldn't go home for Christmas because I was still recovering and in the middle of treatment. When I was surprised that the doc had said it was okay to go they laughed and said 'we didn't tell her.' I loved their spirit, the way they Brazenly Lived and just want to be done so they can live some more.

Today the Radiation Oncologist I saw (not my normal doctor) had some really good things to say. I was asking him (again - I ask everyone) about Lymphedema, specifically about getting a compression sleeve. I don't have any symptoms but I worry about it constantly. He was a nice East Indian man who looked at me and smiled. 'Don't treat something you don't have,' he said and then went on to say - just keep doing what you're doing - arm/chest stretches, exercise, things that get the lymph moving. Then as if I might not have gotten what he meant he looked at me again and said, 'So  many people in this world - you, me, everyone - we have a tendency to worry about things and anticipate problems that will most likely never happen. Don't do that."

That is exactly how I've tried to deal with things this year. So why am I worrying so much about lymphedema before I even have one symptom. Yes I have a risk, and if I did have swelling or something I should get it checked out quickly but right now I don't. And I may never. So thank you to the tender doctor who took the time to relieve me of fear. Peace is not what I usually feel when I leave doctor's appointments at the hospital but it's what I felt today and I like this feeling better!

Two more radiation treatments left. I'm onto the "boost" portion of my treatment. One zap instead of 7, a quick 5 minutes in and out. I'm so relieved to finally be done and just in time for Christmas holidays. The kids will be off and we'll have nothing on the calendar - love it.




12 comments:

  1. Two more to go, right on Heidi!! Just in time for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe I am so proud of you. We still KNOW you are the same wife and mother we love. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like great advice you received today. I'm going to remember those words and apply them to my journey as well! I'm glad you found my blog and in turn, I was able to find yours. It's great! You're further along (it's funny how that applies to so many things) than I am. Any radiation advice? Creams? Energy level? Thanks! Angela http://cancerfnsucks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sort of a fitting time to end this treatment 'saga' of your life. Just in time for the celebration of new birth. You have shown amazing strength during this year, which is an inspiration to many of us who read your blog. As for lymphedema, it is totally understandable to have that concern overshadowing you, and I am very glad this physician was able to put this in perspective for you. Sometimes God puts specific people in our path to actually speak the words he would whisper in our minds. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still my girl! Hey I loved reading your blog today, you are so right live with abandon and don't borrow tomorrows troubles. I can't wait to see you next month. Plan for some fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, I've come around to a similar thought on you... you are still you. The silver lining is that I've gotten to know you more which is better! :-) Love the live brazenly motto. Happy ONE zap left!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela - I emailed you about rads but I'm not sure how coherent it was - I'm not my clearest at night! And I forgot to mention: about fatigue. It was worse for me at the beginning - I would get into the car to go to the appointment and feel immediately exhausted but this week I feel great - I can't wait to be done! And compared to chemo where I slept a ton, radiation was a walk in the park.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Aunt Elizabeth. Thanks for keeping on tracking with me. I feel blessed in my family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristin, I love that we've gotten to know each other so much better. cancer had some good side effects - new and deeper friendships. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gift from that Dr. What a gift from God. : ) Such good advice. I'm happy you're so close and love what you said about the retired couple and their passion to live and also about at the end of the day still being yourself. I wonder if I will feel the same way after being here in Peru for 10 months - amazed at the changes but at the end of the day realizing I'm still me...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, I'm thankful for that doctor! And moving to another country is totally a life altering event. But God is still the same and loves us the same. I'm glad that never changes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waiting arrives just in time. Xo

    ReplyDelete