Monday, April 16, 2012

On Friday...

I forced myself out the door. I needed to walk, to clear my head, to get the blood flowing. It was grey again but no rain fell. I made myself walk farther then usual, off the street, down into the woods. It was quiet, still. I breathed deeply and let it out slowly - it smelled like fresh greens and damp earth.

And there, tucked away - a trillium. Just one, almost hidden among the profusion of the new bright green growth of spring that carpeted the forest floor. I slowed, searched the ravine, and there, another one. Not a hillside of flowers. Nothing so excessive as that. But a gift all the same, just one I had to work for, to search out. One perfect trillium...then another, and over there...one more.

And then...Ahhh, the sun.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm, love the flow and feel of your words today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering walking in the same woods last year on one of my love and support trips. I had such a similar experince, I can see the sun through the trees, smell the sweet damp woods...wish I was there with you right now!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed the peacefulness of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete