Monday, November 7, 2011

Presence

My mom asked me the other day what the cancer experience has changed about me. Aside from the physical changes like diet and exercise, surgery and chemo side effects that may or may not be permanent, I'm really not too sure.

When people ask me what I feel like God is teaching me through all this I have to admit that I don't know. Not yet and maybe not ever. I haven't had any amazing "God" moments or audible declarations about why my family and I are going through this. We've struggled with fear, anxiety, unsettledness, horrible side effects. We've prayed and prayed for peace and mercy and healing but I still have to go through the medical process and I haven't been miraculously spared side effects or hair loss or anything like that.

But when I was thinking about this - what I realized as I looked back (or even as I go through today) is that what I feel and have felt for the past 9 months is Presence. We weren't alone, we aren't alone. I feel like Jesus turned his face toward us. Cared for us, cried with us, loved us, provided us with what we needed when we needed it, guided us into decisions and gave us peace when we doubted the decisions we made.

Sometimes these provisions were as small as a comment on this blog - cheering me on - written on a day when I felt like I couldn't take one more step, or as important as providing meals for my family when we had no energy to even open the fridge. But also providing someone to clean my house, fun for our kids, social times when we needed it and quietness when we needed that. I'm just so thankful.

And those other changes I talked about - maybe I'll post more on that later. We've discovered the wonder of juicing and are scouting all the markets around us for organic vegetables. Today I found a little gem called Silver Hills that is so much more then just bread - 2 minutes from my house and I didn't even know it!

And for an update: Chemo is done! Yeah for that. Radiation starts on November 17 and I'll have 20 sessions total - Monday to Friday, finishing on December 14. I still go every 3 weeks for Herceptin injections which are only 30 minutes or so and have very little side effects. I'm not quite done but with chemo over it feels like a really bleak chapter in my life is over and it's all up hill from here.

14 comments:

  1. The time of business does not differ with me from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were on my knees.

    Brother Lawrence
    The Practice of the Presence of God

    ReplyDelete
  2. cherylplett@gmail.comNovember 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

    I love you so much and miss you every day, I know that God has great things in store for you and Sam and your children. I am privleged to pray for you and watch with you what an incredible gift we have in you sweetie! I know that because of this difficult trial, the sweetness of God's presence and his future plans for all of you will be recieved with greatful and thankful hearts...lives filled with joy for years to come!
    Love Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your transparency, your strength, your tears, your perseverance, your quest for ALL of the father's presence....better than a hallelujah.
    I love you Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I clicked on this link again this morning... and your words pointing up to our Faithful Father have encouraged me. He is good.
    I love you Heidi. You are beautiful and I treasure the gift of your friendship, through the different seasons. Almost ready for you to come hang out on my couch. Who would have thought that some day the couch we picked out would be in Vancouver.
    He is good. He is faithful. In every season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Heidi. I love reading your beautiful posts. Your blog is like a devotional for me! You are inspiring and beautiful, and so strong.
    PS. I remember when you had that photo taken with your mom... I'm in the background with Elissa in the stroller! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heidi,

    I just found your blog last night from a comment you left on Breast Cancer is my Bitch blog.

    Congratulations on finishing up your chemo!!! I finished 6 rounds in September. It was a wonderful feeling!

    I also started my radiation at few weeks ago.

    I am also her2positive. While I know many breast cancer survivors, I don't know anyone who is her2positive so I am happy to find the blogs of those who are.

    I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leanna - you are so sweet! I'm also inspired by all your craftiness. Christmas is a coming and I need to start thinking of decorating. Any new things your doing this year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena, Good to meet you. I just checked out your blog and can't wait to be almost done radiation. How long are you on herception for? I've already been delayed once due to a low ejection fraction but this week it was back up so I was back in the chemo room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be on Herceptin for one year. I had Herceptin along with my chemo(taxetere and carboplatin) for 6 rounds every 3 weeks. Now just the Herceptin every 3 weeks until the end of May which will mark one year of treatment for me.

    (and of course radiation and hormones scattered in there, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still with u Heidi prayingXo

    ReplyDelete