Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Thoughts to Action

After my optimism of beginning a new year, my bold declaration of dreams, ideas and hope, and my deep-seated need to really Live this year, I find myself a bit stuck. How does that actually translate into action? The first 10 days of 2012 feel exactly like all the other days and it frustrates me a little bit.

Partly it's that I've come down with the first cold since I've had cancer (what? A cold? Now that my immune system is supposed to be back up in working order?) Not once during chemo did I get sick (outside of the actual "treatment" that is) but now I do. Weird.

But I think it's more then feeling under the weather for the past week. Partly it's that I'm not sure where to go from here. I want to keep moving forward, living well, with purpose, and now that cancer is slowly moving towards the rearview mirror I'm finding a lack of focus. I was talking to Sam about this today and he thought this year should have helped clear up priorities. And it has in the sense that I know what I don't want to spend my time doing but it hasn't really helped me know what I should do instead. And I'm also realizing that I still have to do all the regular stuff. Clean, laundry, figure out what to make for dinner every. darn. night. And that stuff isn't really life giving or fun it's just life. I'm glad to be doing it - but what else?

And then there is writing. After Zach was born I started writing a novel. A fantasy novel about lots of fantastical things. I started writing because I was so immersed in babies that I needed an outlet. Something that used they dying parts of my brain, something that wasn't about diapers, baby puke and incessant crying (I love you Zachy but you did all of those things!). I have over 500,000 words written in a myriad of documents on my hard drive. Some good, most mediocre but it forms a loose book with lots of holes. Do I go back to it? Crack it open, try again? Is this something that I want to spend my time doing. My post-cancer, you never know what's gonna happen time?

Sam thinks I should write about cancer. That's sort of what I've been doing here but I could expand, go back and relive it all. Maybe or maybe not yet.

In my deepest heart I believe that God gives us dreams. Dreams that we're scared to admit to others or even to ourselves. Something we just want to do so badly - yet saying it out loud is terrifying. But when we do it we feel right. At peace, content. Writing is sort of like that for me.

Upon reflection, that sounds an awful lot like an answer. At least to part of the question.

Now the hard part - translating thoughts to action.

6 comments:

  1. good thoughts Heidi... and i can relate to those feelings even now. The "C" detour has a way of shaking us to the core,.. and to sort our way through the maze of feelings & priorities & insights & lessons takes time (i'm finding). If you find your way through.. send me your map :)
    Thanks for opening these windows into your life ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the 'action' unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't read your blog in a while. I'm so glad the major treatments are done, that you are down to Herceptin, and feeling energetic again. Hallelujah! Greetings to Sam, with love to you both, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Heidi - interesting that some of those thoughts also flood those of use who, age wise, have more years behind than ahead. Are we going to make an impact, will our footprint remain? You are a talented writer, evident on your blog. I write poetry, I also have many on my hard drive. If you are someone driven to write, it is rather an unstoppable force - you can be doing something mundane, a thought hits and you must stop and work with it. So open that part of you back up and embrace it. Your recent experience will now add a depth of humanity that will be a new thread in what you write. As for day in day out making meals (sigh), those are some of the warmest memories I have of what my mom did for us growing up, as my own boys do now as well (which is nice). Anyway, 2012 is young, and inspiration will appear. I heard someone say once "our past tells us where we've been, it doesn't have to determine where we go". Kind of stuck with me. Love, aunt elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before you even got to say it I was thinking you were a great writer... : ) And I can sort of relate a little bit to the feelings you're having. After the big, enormous push to GET. TO. PERU., I find myself wondering, "Now what?" Even though cancer hasn't touched me as closely yet I look forward to seeing what comes of your writing and LIVING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always so encouraged by your comments everyone! Thank you.

    Aunt Elizabeth - I had no idea you wrote poetry - that is cool!

    Melissa - I often wondered if missionaries ever felt like that being replanted in a strange city and then expected to do stuff! I know I would!

    ReplyDelete