Thursday, April 14, 2011

Step 1 Part 2

Now that the surprise of more surgery has worn off and there are only 3 more days to go until #2 I feel ready. It helps that I've felt really good this week. The range of motion in my arm is great except for this weird tendon under my arm that sticks out and looks tight as a bowstring if I stretch just right (kinda grosses Sam out). My incisions are both healing well, I have no pain - just the odd achy feeling, and I've walked a few times when it wasn't pouring down rain as it is right now.

I also have some more tests scheduled for this weekend which should help pass the time. And I have a confession to make. I kind of like going to the hospital. It's such a big busy place with lots of 'helping people' going on. I always feel energized when I walk in the front doors and see all the activity. It helps that our hospital is practically brand new and doesn't have the old narrow corridors, mint green walls, and musty smell that so many associate with hospitals.

It's weird, I know. When I told Sam I might write about this he looked at me strange with that one raised eyebrow. But it's true. I sometimes think that I'd like to work in a hospital. These past couple weeks I've had many opportunities to see lots of different types of jobs. From the crazy busy front desk of medical imaging with 30 people always waiting to the empty waiting area of pre-op admission.

I think my favourite is Nuclear Medicine. For one it has a cool name. And they have a cold storage room with tons of radiation warning signs. Also it's kind of weird that the radiation they are warning you about is going to be injected into your body by a tech wearing a lead apron while you're wearing only a hospital gown. Afterwards they give you a card in case you cross the border and set off their radiation alarms. Last time I was in nuclear medicine was right before surgery but I get to go again on Saturday for a bone scan. I was thinking it would be neat to go across the border after to see what happens.

Of course I admit that I may not feel quite so positive about hospital appointments in say 6-8 months from now and I don't love that I have to pay for parking by the hour, especially if my appointment only lasts 15 minutes. But the waiting isn't that bad and the extra tests make me feel like I'm getting stuff done even though I'm not really doing anything but lying there.

This is what living in the present looks like for me today. I will think about the good things that today holds and not the unknown things that will happen next week.

3 comments:

  1. You are so articulate! Yay for blog updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! Thanks for the chuckle that you kinda like going to hospitals! Sounds like you may be finding a career path in all this! :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I love how transparent and real you are. You say what's on your heart and you don't skirt around your feelings. (and you have a great sense of humor!) You also live in the moment, trusting God every step of the way. I know that God is going to use this part of your journey to bless many other people. He already is. Seeing all the possibilities of what you could do at the hospital is God opening the eyes of your heart to how you could care for others. We can be so much more passionate and compassionate about caring for others, when we've walked the roads ourselves.

    ReplyDelete