Monday, March 21, 2011

Not Surprised

The word cancer has a lot of emotion attached to it. Fear, uncertainty, anger, sorrow. It was not a word I thought ever to associate with 'me.' I'd only ever thought of it as a 'you' word. Someone else, somewhere else. In truth the word meant little to me, that is until that day only 3 weeks ago when my doctor used it in relation to my own diagnosis. 'the tumor is cancerous' is what I think he said. I nodded and said 'alright, okay,' but thinking to myself – what? Did I just hear that right? And immediately – what does this mean?

Okay – I have breast cancer. The main thought I had for those first few days in combination with those words 'breast cancer' was 'boy is this ever random'. And that's how it felt, how it still sometimes feels.

We were leaving the surgeon's office a few days after the initial diagnosis and it had been a sobering appointment with words like lymph node biopsy, chemotherapy, radiation and I think I said something to the effect of 'boy this is sure random' and Sam told me – 'no it's not random. This isn't random to God. It isn't unknown to him.'

And that's true. There are no surprises to Him. And I wonder how he has been preparing me for this?

That's one of my many questions. A good friend asked me last week what I've been writing. Up to that point all I'd written were questions to God. Pages of them. 'You're a writer,' he said, 'you should write.' And I think he's right. Not just work on my going on seven-year-novel-that-may-never-be-finished but my thoughts about this abrupt turn our lives have taken in just 3 weeks. And maybe as I process my thoughts God will answer some of those questions.

As of now I have a surgery date of March 28th for a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy. Further treatment will be discussed with an Oncologist after the results of the surgery are in. Please pray with us for "clear margins" around the tumor and for cancer free nodes.

And if you are in the area, a friend and mom from the kids school is organizing meals for us for the week after surgery and then again when chemotherapy (not for sure but more than likely) starts. The website for that is here - if you are so inclined.





7 comments:

  1. Praying for you. Walking with you. Believing clear margins, clear treatment plans, strength and recovery and peace for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Heidi.... thanks for sharing. Caught me totally by surprise too! But how beautiful that you are sharing openly and allowing us to join your journey... in prayer, with our words, and however else we may! And Sam is very right! God is not caught of guard. Easy to say from this side of the screen.... but true nonetheless. Joining you on the battle-front of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Heidi.... thanks for sharing. Caught me totally by surprise too! But how beautiful that you are sharing openly and allowing us to join your journey... in prayer, with our words, and however else we may! And Sam is very right! God is not caught of guard. Easy to say from this side of the screen.... but true nonetheless. Joining you on the battle-front of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi.

    I am crying like a baby. I didn't expect to see any new posts and when I did click on your link my heart was suddenly overwhelmed.
    I love the changes you made to your design and what you wrote was so truthful. I clung to every word.
    I love you so much Heidi and I know this is only the beginning of everything and there’s going to be many more days of this ahead but I want you to know that I'm right here with you and I'm going to be listening to all your thoughts and experiences and I'm going to be praying accordingly.
    Love You.
    -H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest friend,

    Thank you for so openly sharing this journey with others. I know that it is confusing, overwhelming and uncertain. But, you can be completely certain that nothing is beyond God's grasp or infinite power. He is holding on to you very tightly. I'm praying for your surgery to go exceptionally well. I'm praying for clearer than clear margins, for a speedy recovery and for treatment that will be fully effective. I'm believing and praying for you to feel the immeasurable power,strength,peace and calm of God over you. May you know without a question how very deeply you are supported and loved. Write with all your heart....your words will reflect your personal journey with God, as He leads you every step of the way. Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments everyone! I feel supported and loved.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you Heidi. Pray for you often when you filter through my mind... and I trust you to Jesus. May you feel His guiding hand and ever present care.

    ReplyDelete