Wednesday, March 23, 2011

TMI

Most of the time I like information. Even if it's bad I want to know. Knowing is better than not knowing.

It seems like this breast cancer experience so far has consisted mostly of waiting. Waiting for appointments, waiting for surgery. With waiting comes lots of time to think...and Google. Google has treated me well these past weeks. I Googled the items on my pathology report, what surgery will be like, what sort of non-traditional therapies are out there, what chemotherapy will be like, radiation, if hormone therapy will work for my kind of tumor. All very safe from websites like the BC breast cancer web page, Canadian breast cancer web page, American...you get the idea. I should now say that I promised Sam I would keep my Googling to a minimum. He's worried about what I may come across even though I've explained to him that I just need to know stuff and 'don't worry, it's not affecting me.'

Except for yesterday. Yesterday was a TMI day. Way, way too much info. I freely admit that there is a line between being prepared, with questions for the doctor, knowing the terminology, even where you can buy a wig close by and information overload - that superfluous knowledge that is no longer helpful and yet you just can't stop looking at it.

And for me it was blogs. At first it was good to read a first hand account from someone who went through the same sorts of things I expect to go through. Then I started to compare pathology reports and come across all the complications. And then I spent the night tossing and turning praying for morning to come so I could shut off my brain!

My doctor has told me from the beginning that it's important to stay within the present. To focus on the next step, not 3 steps down the road. And I've been meaning to do that. I think we've done a pretty good job of it even. I also think that is what it means to put your trust in Jesus. To hand the chart over to him and let him be the lead physician. So tonight that's what I'm doing. Maybe Sam was right after all (he made me add this last line).

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Psalm 139:14-16

6 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! Sam you are right!!

    I am pracitsing being present with you and for you.

    Love you

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam was so right! We need to listen to our husbands more often, they are usally right( well not always but it's good to let them think so!
    You need to remember that YOU are Heidi. Unique. Special. Beautiful Heidi. God created you and you are different from any other person on this planet. Your experience so far may match up idenitcally with someone elses but you don't know the outcome because you are Heidi, different from anyone else.

    Remember that!
    Love Ya,
    -H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,
    My name is Megan Beck. My family and I are members at SAC. I know that we have never formally met or even spoken to one another however, I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you during this time of waiting and uncertainty. My mom was diagnosed with melanoma in her eye right before Christmas. I understand the waiting. She has since had surgery but now we wait for the results to see if the cancer has been killed completely, shrunk or has stayed the same. Waiting can be hard and it is most definitely difficult to keep your mind and thoughts in the present. God knows the design and plan that he has for my mom and for you and for the rest of us as well. My prayer for you will be that you would allow God to take over your thoughts and minds daily and provide a calm, peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, we've been thinking of you a lot. We will be praying for you, especially on Monday and hope for a measure of peace for you, Sam and the kids while you wait and while you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being present, living in the moment, worrying not for tomorrow... I like that. Praying peace for you, and patience during all this waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, Thanks so much for your prayers. My own thoughts and prayers go out to your mom and your whole family. I hope we can meet soon.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete